Published Monday, April 29, 2013 | 6:30 p.m.
Updated Monday, April 29, 2013 | 7:51 p.m.
Bishop Gorman rising senior running back Nate Starks was dismissed from school for violating school rules and won’t return, school officials said Monday.
The 6-foot, 200-pound Starks is Nevada’s top recruiting prospect for the class of 2014. He is a four-star recruit with scholarship offers from the likes of Notre Dame, Alabama, Oklahoma and USC.
Starks, who Rivals.com considers the nation’s No. 26 overall prospect, rushed for 1,821 yards and 27 touchdowns last year in helping Gorman win its fourth straight state championship.
On Twitter Tuesday morning, Starks wrote: "I screwed up. But that doesn't change the player I am or the person I've put myself out there to be. I just need another chance to prove it."
It’s unclear where he’ll play in 2013, but it won't be in Nevada, said Donnie Nelson, the assistant director for the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association. NIAA transfer rules dictate transfers from a private school such as Gorman sit out one year, regardless if the athlete is transferring to a public school or another private school.
Nelson said no exceptions are made for a hardship of being dismissed from school.
“The basic rule is you can’t leave one school and go to another to escape academic or citizenship issues,” Nelson said. “Anytime you transfer schools, you are presumed ineligible for 180 school days or one year.”