- College football by the Vegas odds: Sports book preview of the SEC
- Wednesday, July 30, 2014
- In recent years, the public had treated the SEC like the archetypal television antihero. But last year’s defeat of Auburn in the national championship will likely fall under ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Rockies at Cubs
- Tuesday, July 29, 2014
- My master plan to stay afloat in the South Point-lined Play of the Day until football season is well underway...
- UFC on Fox 12 breakdown, betting odds and picks
- Friday, July 25, 2014
- If someone bet $100 on Matt Brown seven fights ago and continually rolled the winnings over to “The Immortal’s” following bouts, the gambler would now have more than $25,000. The combined odds have given Brown less than a 0.5 percent chance of getting to where he finds himself Saturday after a seven-fight winning streak...
- Dennis Bermudez peaking by all measures going into UFC on Fox 12
- Thursday, July 24, 2014
- The sports scientists who monitor Dennis Bermudez’s training marveled at the UFC featherweight’s progression.
The 27-year-old from Long Island, N.Y., began visiting a human performance lab at Cal State Fullerton University, as shown on the UFC’s latest “Road to the Octagon" television show, periodically two fights ago ...
- Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort revealed as UFC 181 headliner
- Wednesday, July 23, 2014
- Chris Weidman has already taken out two of the most decorated Brazilian fighters during his tenure as the UFC middleweight champion.
The 30-year-old from New York will now move on to his third. Weidman (12-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC) will attempt to defend his title against Vitor Belfort (24-10 MMA, 13-6 UFC) on Dec. 6 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in the main event of UFC 181...
- Vegas Play of the Day: Orioles at Angels
- Wednesday, July 23, 2014
- The Play of the Day, which features odds from the South Point and a $10,000 starting bankroll, is chugging along with wins in six of its last eight installments...
- College football by the Vegas odds: Sports book preview of the Mountain West
- Tuesday, July 22, 2014
- The Mountain West Conference was once not too long ago the backyard secret that football fans in this part of the country begged to broadcast. Over the past few years, the league has turned down so drastically that it’s more deserving of getting shoved into a closet and ...
- Vegas Play of the Day: UFC Fight Night 46’s Ilir Latifi vs. Chris Dempsey
- Saturday, July 19, 2014
- The Play of the Day has broken through with a five-game winning streak, the longest in the history of the contest that uses South Point betting lines and a $10,000 starting bankroll ...
- Analysis: Canceled UFC card sparks hidden benefits
- Saturday, July 19, 2014
- A local sports occurrence that was once as nonexistent as Floyd Mayweather Jr. losing a fight or casinos failing to post betting lines on an NFL game has become alarmingly commonplace. With last week’s cancellation of ...
- Low-key local pro Dan Sindelar breaks through into WSOP’s November Nine
- Friday, July 18, 2014
- Dan Sindelar took deliberate steps toward an assembly of supporters in the stands. One friend handed the 30-year-old a beer as he leaned in for a few hugs and high-fives ...
- Vegas-style college football preview: Pac-12 at the sports book
- Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013
- When the Pac-10 extended hastily accepted invitations to Utah and Colorado for the 2011 college football season, many hailed it as the dawning of the age of “super conferences.”
- Vegas-style college football preview: Mountain West at the sports books
- Wednesday, July 24, 2013
- The never-ending footrace between Boise State and bookmakers may feature a new leader for the first time in nearly two decades.
The popular narrative of non-BCS conference Boise State baffling the country with its run of sustained success once rang truest in Las Vegas.
- Photos: WSOP November Nine Final Table set with J.C. Tran leading
- Tuesday, July 16, 2013
- The group that played their way into the last session of poker’s $10,000 buy-in world championship early today at The Rio includes two former bracelet ...
- Sports books favor Heat to win next year's NBA title but Clippers moving up
- Monday, June 24, 2013
- The Miami Heat’s championship parade drew to a close Monday in a fashion typical for these types of celebrations — with talk of next season.
The back-to-back NBA champions fielded questions about potentially pulling off the first three-peat in more than a decade next season. Las Vegas has answers, or at least valuable insight into the likelihood of it happening.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports book facts and figures on Heat comeback, Game 7
- Thursday, June 20, 2013
- The dramatic finish in Game 6 of the NBA Finals caused at least three different groups of people spread throughout the country in separate time zones to look foolish.
There were, of course, the much-ridiculed Miami fans who fled the American Airlines Arena exits early before their Heat sparked to win 103-100 in overtime. San Antonio supporters who flooded the Riverwalk anticipating a celebration before their Spurs dulled took their barbs, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Heat victory tonight could mean big business to sports books
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
- Tonight marks the closest equivalent to Groundhog Day for local sports books. If the Miami Heat win to extend the NBA Finals to a Game 7, brightness in the form of money gets one last hurrah. Dim the lights around betting windows, though, if they lose.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports books took hit on Heat; zig-zag calls for Spurs tonight
- Sunday, June 16, 2013
- Sports book directors may have flopped to the floor harder than Chris Bosh as game four of the NBA Finals wound down.
Unlike the minor contact Tim Duncan made with Bosh, the Miami Heat actually inflicted pain on bookmakers. They cost Las Vegas books far more than the $5,000 the NBA fined Bosh for his embellishment, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs a small favorite over Heat in series and Game 4
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
- Don’t make the same mistake some analysts made Tuesday night. Don’t pen the Miami Heat’s eulogy yet.
Despite an embarrassing 113-77 loss to San Antonio in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, Miami is a victory Thursday night away from regaining its status as the favorite in the series, according to Las Vegas odds.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: What the odds say about home court format for Heat, Spurs
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
- LeBron James has experienced both the supposed greatest benefit and biggest drawback to the NBA Finals’ 2-3-2 home court format over the past couple of years.
The Heat are now minus-175 (risking $1.75 to win $1) to win the series with the Spurs coming back at plus-155 (risking $1 to win $1.55).
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs now favored in series but history on Heat's side in game two
- Sunday, June 9, 2013
- Fans in San Antonio might as well crank Rihanna’s breakthrough single “Umbrella” and dust off those black and silver Robert Horry jerseys.
They should party like it’s June 2007, and not just because their Spurs are back in the NBA Finals for the first time since suppressing this very King (James) six years ago.