- Sports books make Florida State a 7- to 8-point favorite over Auburn
- Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013
- For the first time in five years, the two teams the BCS labeled as the best in the country doubled as the most profitable to bet on over the course of the season.
No. 1 Florida State and No. 2 Auburn each went 11-2 against the spread, giving oddsmakers fits throughout the year. That includes Saturday and Sunday when local sports books slowly began to post Florida State as a 7- to 8-point favorite over Auburn in the BCS National Championship Game Jan. 6 in Pasadena, Calif.
- USC, Fresno State will play in Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl
- Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013
- USC and Fresno State were both alive in the race to get into a BCS bowl game three weeks ago. While those hopes failed to come to fruition, the two California schools snagged a December trip to Las Vegas as a consolation prize. The Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl will be at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 21 at Sam Boyd Stadium.
- College football by the odds: Vegas picks and preview of championship week
- Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013
- Patience isn’t a prevailing characteristic for those who regularly fill the city’s sports books, as seen for the umpteenth time in the aftermath of last week’s college football slate.
- Hunt, Silva staged heavyweight spectacle at UFC Fight Night 33
- Friday, Dec. 6, 2013
- Barrels of spilled blood splotched Mark Hunt’s hair, smeared Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva’s skin and stained the octagon canvas.
The grim remains gave an inkling of the battle that played out Friday night at UFC Fight Night 33 in Brisbane, Australia, but just to a limit.
- Week 14 NFL picks against the spread for the Sun's handicapping contest
- Friday, Dec. 6, 2013
- Emblazoned across Colin Kaepernick’s chest in black ink are three words — “Against All Odds.”
The UNR graduate says the tattoo represents his rise to the NFL, not necessarily what the third-year quarterback has done since getting there. That’s reassuring, because there would be no reason to graffiti a torso with a message that’s wholly inaccurate.
- High School Football Picks: State Championship Game
- Monday, Dec. 2, 2013
- Las Vegas Sun sports reporters Ray Brewer and Case Keefer make picks for every local high school football game.
- Nate Diaz misses out on high school reunion to knock out Gray Maynard
- Sunday, Dec. 1, 2013
- Nate Diaz had the chance Saturday to chat up old friends and shake hands, but he decided that snapping necks and cashing checks would be more fun. Indeed, he had no regrets by evening's end.
- 'TUF' 18 finale blog: Julianna Pena, Chris Holdsworth win reality-show crowns
- Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013
- As far as “The Ultimate Fighter” celebrations go, Julianna Pena’s was relatively muted.
After the biggest win of her career to score a six-figure contract with mixed martial arts’ most prominent promotion, Pena smiled. She pumped her fist. She embraced her family and cornermen.
- College football by the odds: Vegas picks and preview of week 14
- Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013
- The perfect counterbalance to giving thanks is watching hostility.
College football annually obliges on the desire for the latter on the last weekend in November.
- Week 13 NFL picks against the spread for the Sun's handicapping contest
- Friday, Nov. 29, 2013
- The second matchup between the Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs is defying the usual characteristics of a sequel.
It’s not receiving an elevated promotional push. Not enough time has passed since the original, only two weeks, to spawn any demand or anticipation.
- Vegas-style college football preview: Pac-12 at the sports book
- Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013
- When the Pac-10 extended hastily accepted invitations to Utah and Colorado for the 2011 college football season, many hailed it as the dawning of the age of “super conferences.”
- Vegas-style college football preview: Mountain West at the sports books
- Wednesday, July 24, 2013
- The never-ending footrace between Boise State and bookmakers may feature a new leader for the first time in nearly two decades.
The popular narrative of non-BCS conference Boise State baffling the country with its run of sustained success once rang truest in Las Vegas.
- Photos: WSOP November Nine Final Table set with J.C. Tran leading
- Tuesday, July 16, 2013
- The group that played their way into the last session of poker’s $10,000 buy-in world championship early today at The Rio includes two former bracelet ...
- Sports books favor Heat to win next year's NBA title but Clippers moving up
- Monday, June 24, 2013
- The Miami Heat’s championship parade drew to a close Monday in a fashion typical for these types of celebrations — with talk of next season.
The back-to-back NBA champions fielded questions about potentially pulling off the first three-peat in more than a decade next season. Las Vegas has answers, or at least valuable insight into the likelihood of it happening.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports book facts and figures on Heat comeback, Game 7
- Thursday, June 20, 2013
- The dramatic finish in Game 6 of the NBA Finals caused at least three different groups of people spread throughout the country in separate time zones to look foolish.
There were, of course, the much-ridiculed Miami fans who fled the American Airlines Arena exits early before their Heat sparked to win 103-100 in overtime. San Antonio supporters who flooded the Riverwalk anticipating a celebration before their Spurs dulled took their barbs, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Heat victory tonight could mean big business to sports books
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
- Tonight marks the closest equivalent to Groundhog Day for local sports books. If the Miami Heat win to extend the NBA Finals to a Game 7, brightness in the form of money gets one last hurrah. Dim the lights around betting windows, though, if they lose.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Sports books took hit on Heat; zig-zag calls for Spurs tonight
- Sunday, June 16, 2013
- Sports book directors may have flopped to the floor harder than Chris Bosh as game four of the NBA Finals wound down.
Unlike the minor contact Tim Duncan made with Bosh, the Miami Heat actually inflicted pain on bookmakers. They cost Las Vegas books far more than the $5,000 the NBA fined Bosh for his embellishment, too.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs a small favorite over Heat in series and Game 4
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
- Don’t make the same mistake some analysts made Tuesday night. Don’t pen the Miami Heat’s eulogy yet.
Despite an embarrassing 113-77 loss to San Antonio in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, Miami is a victory Thursday night away from regaining its status as the favorite in the series, according to Las Vegas odds.
- NBA Finals in Vegas: What the odds say about home court format for Heat, Spurs
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
- LeBron James has experienced both the supposed greatest benefit and biggest drawback to the NBA Finals’ 2-3-2 home court format over the past couple of years.
The Heat are now minus-175 (risking $1.75 to win $1) to win the series with the Spurs coming back at plus-155 (risking $1 to win $1.55).
- NBA Finals in Vegas: Spurs now favored in series but history on Heat's side in game two
- Sunday, June 9, 2013
- Fans in San Antonio might as well crank Rihanna’s breakthrough single “Umbrella” and dust off those black and silver Robert Horry jerseys.
They should party like it’s June 2007, and not just because their Spurs are back in the NBA Finals for the first time since suppressing this very King (James) six years ago.